Thursday, May 10, 2007

Impressions of today at school

Yesterday afternoon, I took part in a staff meeting. For all my teaching colleagues out there you will be glad to know that even half way around the world, the feeling in staff meetings is the same! :> Teachers being asked to do more for less... and not being that happy about it! It was hilarious, I could not believe I was seeing politics in action. Found out more about the school today - it is a private school, but unlike in Canada, I would not say that they are getting privileged resources that students would get in independent schools in Ontario. What the students DO get is smaller class sizes and perhaps a slightely better education. Since the government introduced free primary education in Kenya, the public schools have been overwhelmed with students. My class sizes range up to 40, but in the public system they can be 50 or more. The pay is better in the public system and there is job security ... but it is very hard to get a posting - sound familiar? But still in this private school, most of the kids come from the slums and their parents scrape together the tuition fee which amounts to about $180 a year. Teachers make about $300 dollars a month here... not much. And they work extremely long hours. I'll paste some of the latest email I have sent on my group list as well.

I had the most extraordinary experience today - the kids performed their drama dance for me. The theme being girl education and HIV/AIDS. IT WAS AMAZING. I captured some of it on video and will be taping the whole thing on parents day on May 25th. I have been asked to make a contribution to the performance - so I have to think over the weekend how the kids and I can come up with another scene. They dance, they sing, they chant - nothing like I have ever seen before. So much rhythm!

Also - the kids' marks here are solely based 100 percent on their National State exam. That's it... no marks collected throughout the term, participation or other tests. They get marked all the time but that does not count for their final mark. Talk about pressure on the final exam! Hence all the extra hours.

Oh yeah.. one other sobering observation. Kids get caned here... from grade 4 up... Not necessarily for bad behaviour, but for petty mistakes in their work. Can't say I really agree with this and I it is pretty hard to witness. It is under control, but still... The teachers and I have had some interesting discussions about it ... it is officially illegal in Kenya, but is still widely practiced. The kids are not hurt, but still like I said, a bit hard to watch.

No comments: