Friday, May 25, 2007

My day in the shamba (farm)






Here are some pics from my day out in the countryside. I hope to go again there this weekend. I still need to transfer my pics from Parents Day to my flash. I am hopping busy right now. Since I am leaving in a week, people are coming out of the woodwork asking me to spend time with them. I am putting in VERY long days. Yesterday after work, I went to the slum area to have dinner with one of my teaching colleagues... unbelievable - she lives in a house smaller then my master bedroom at home with four children. And yet, she has an impeccable house and served me a delicious dinner of ugali, kale and eggs. The hospitality here is staggering for people who have so little.


So - here are some nice pics from the countryside. These are mud huts.... outdoor toilets and showers... The old lass is around 90 years old - oldest lady in the village. The cactus plant - they use to make rope... I have some pics of how they do that.

No comments: