Thursday, May 10, 2007

This is from my journal from a few days ago...






Today I saw the school where I will be working. They are actually changing schools on me in order to make it easier for me in terms of transportation. Nyamasaria High School is a wee bit out of town and it would have meant taking a matatu (bus) every morning. Plus – I would have been teaching English – not as a second language, but in terms of literature which I am sure I could do, but that is not what I have been studying to do all year. So at Jakamenda Primary School, I will be working with grades 7 and 8 and possibly younger …. as well as working on Saturdays with an orphanage. I will be able to do much more drama and music here. This orphanage caters to street boys (boys that run around Kisumu and live on the streets, they sniff glue and beg for food and money) There are several orphanages that manage to lure these kids off the streets and rehabilitate them. Some run away or cannot be enticed. I met some of them today. There is also a nursery on site. As soon as I arrived, a small boy, aged 1-2, no pants on, no shoes, came running up to me and hugged my legs. He was adorable! We played a game where I lifted him up and down… It was not entirely an easy sight to see the conditions in which these kids live and go to school. There is a VCT centre on site – a voluntary counselling and testing centre, a church and living quarters I suspect for some of the staff. The school rooms are very primitive, benches, long tables and a chalk board at the front of the room. I will post some pics. There is a formal school (where they follow the Ministry curriculum) and an informal school (where they use the same books, but do not follow the curriculum – more teaching the kids life skills I suspect. There is a carpentry workshop on site. Some of the kids are orphans due to their parents dying of AIDS, some were abandoned, some of the kids may have AIDS themselves – I will know more next week. I will also be taking time on the weekends to visit other AIDS related NGO’s who do work here. My host has been attending a three day conference this week which I rather regret not having the chance to attend. It sounds fascinating. Today, they heard talks from various elders of tribes around Africa explaining coming of age practices (circumcision, sexual habits) and how they relate to the spread of AIDS. My host was explaining a talk given by an elder from Senegal. Yesterday, it seems a group put on a play with music depicting some theme having to do with AIDS.
We then visited an area called Dunga – passed a lot of shanty shops and homes, dirt roads – very bumpy of course – and cows on the road. Seconds later we were arriving at a Lake side resort – totally opposite scale. Posh restaurant, pool, view of Lake, lovely meals, gardens to sit around… The proximity of the disparity was a bit alarming. At the resort I saw more white people then I have in all my trip, but plenty of locals as well. It was really lovely there – peaceful and relaxing, but you could not escape the thought that you were living on the "other" side of life here. There are residential areas that are quite upscale – with gated entrances, guards and quite large – some mansions, some on the scale of the grand homes in High Park in TO.
Later on in the day…. I treated myself to my very first pedicure if you can believe it! My hosts suggested it… they saw the state of my feet – which was not very pretty! They are very cheap here and I must admit my feet are completely different right now… why have I not done this before…. boy, did they need it. I will certainly be going back there before I leave – Eunice worked wonders. I also got to observe the very intricate and interesting techniques in a black hair salon. I’ve heard of all these things from my friends in TO, but have never witnessed them! I was assured that this salon was very safe to go to for pedicures as you actually have to be careful as not all salons take care in sanitizing the utensils properly between clients. My hosts go there all the time and they are completely aware of any precautions that need to be taken. Phew…

No comments: