Monday, April 30, 2007

The ants

Other wildlife spottings: I forgot to mention to you the other little creature that I have encountered – that of the safari ant or “army ant” – these little guys were the reason the phrase “ants in your pants” was created. There is a strong path of these ants running from the public toilets beside where we eat across the main path. They were specifically pointed out to me by my hosts so that I would give them a nice wide berth. If these guys get up your pant leg, you will know it – painful bites and the only way to get them off you is to strip off your pants and to pluck them out one by one – often with their pincers staying in your skin! Some of the members of various tribes have used the pincers as sutures… that is how strong they are… Needless to say – I have kept a wide, healthy respectful distance around these suckers. My hosts have suggested that perhaps I need to “experience” them to really understand what they are talking about… I have begged to differ …. :> They get swept away on a daily basis, but have returned by end of day… it really is remarkable and they can make short work of the meat on a bone. The trail is a good inch to inch and a half wide.

No comments: