Monday, April 30, 2007

Other impressions of Kisumu






Other impressions of Kisumu…. Found out that I am pretty lucky to have running water where I am… the Resort uses their own well. In town, not many people have running water as the pipes are too small and they can’t keep up with capacity. They are in the middle of trying to replace the pipes. Most of the big businesses, restaurants have water reservoirs that they fill up. Definitely, in the shambas out in the country… they would have neither running water or electricity. Along the side of the roads you see many people walking with water jugs on their heads or they have them strapped to the backs of their bikes. On Sunday, when we went for our boat tour on the Lake, I saw a lot of the locals washing their clothes or themselves in the Lake. The Lake is incredibly polluted so that is a risky thing to do. You can also catch nasty things from the snails along the shore – something I read about AFTER commenting on the lovely snails on the way to the boat :> thankfully, I did not say – gee how lovely and pick one up! My host told me that when she was growing up the Lake was very clean – they used to waterski, sail, swim. There is a yacht club on the shore – and she said they used to do all their water sports there. We were on the lookout for hippos – as they live in these waters – but unfortunately did not see any. They have been known to come up and graze on the shore of where I am staying – so cross your fingers that I get to see one! The green plant you see in the pictures is the Hyacinth …. it looks lovely, but actually has become a menace to Lake Victoria. The government has somewhat gotten it under control – but at its pinnacle, it prevented major boats from getting in and out of the port. In the bay where I am living, often in the morning the bay is completely clear – in a few hours it will be filled with hyacinth. Take a look at the before and after pictures of our boat ride. It was difficult for the boat to get back to the jetty after our two hour ride. Supposedly, it is illegal to pick the purple flower from the plant – as it is like a weed, and can be easily spread. A few times since I have been here, we have had blackouts – especially around dinner time when the draw on the power is the greatest. On Sunday we had a scheduled blackout from 7am to 7pm. The hotel/resort has a staff of about twenty – kitchen, grounds, driver. It is pretty typical, even for people in the country, to employ help. I must admit it has taken me a bit of time to get used to it … because it feels different then just being at a restaurant. They do everything for you. Someone will do my laundry by hand … though I have done a fair bit of it myself as I just feel funny about it – but on the other hand, you don’t want to offend by not allowing them to do their job – so I must find a balance. I think they count themselves pretty lucky to have a constant job. They live on the resort, mainly near the entrance in shanties – they are wonderfully nice people. Their kids stand on the road and smilingly wave at you every time you leave for town. There are about twenty dogs on the property – all pets, well treated… but if you did not like dogs, you would have a hard time…. as they like to rough house and jump up on you. One morning I was completely surrounded :> it was pretty funny … though impossible to walk as they were all jumping on me! I was rescued by one of the staff… They all have names and are really quite lovely. Foxy is my favourite – she looks just like one! And one of the staff has a horse that just wanders around munching the grass. Every once in awhile, people will arrive with a camel :> for camel rides … but I have yet to partake. The resort is a popular hangout for people on the weekends who come to eat and hang out in the bandas – the covered patios that dot the shoreline.

No comments: