Monday, April 30, 2007

Trip to Maseno University





Here I am posting some pics from Maseno University where I participated in an I Choose Life program on the weekend. You will see the differences! The neat thing about the University is that it is right on the Equator – Zero Degrees – the Equator runs right through campus. I hope to be partaking in more of these activities over the month. The organization, who mainly works at the moment with the universities, is hoping to spread the program into high schools in the very near future. Nyamasaria school, where I will be working, is one of their target schools. HIV is still a major problem here in Kenya though my hosts and the students I spoke to said the tide is starting to turn. One student told me that in addition to people being educated in how it is transmitted, they are starting to change their view on women – ie. They are getting better educated The city has several orphanages where street boys live – my hosts explained to me that these kids are often just abandoned, left in dumpters, or have had parents die from AIDS. There is an organization here called TEMPKA or TEMKA – sorry, can’t remember the acronym – helping young female teenagers who get pregnant. The girls are shown how to create crafts, they weave their own cloth and make wonderful clothes, wood carvings – and they get sold in booths around the city with the money going to help them – I am planning to visit some of these booths.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

It all sounds amazing! I love hearing all about it and seeing the photos, so keep posting!

Let me know if you need any suggestions with the lesson planning :)

from Sally

zipporah said...

Hi Sally,
How is the project going on? I understand the problems facing Kenya especially teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS STDS, and other social ills. I grew up in Maragoli, worked in Kisumu, Luanda and saw how youth and families worked so endlessly to survive on fifty cents per day or none, but yet they have to feed their families, educate them and provide them with education. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
zipporah